The true origins of cuckoo clocks are shrouded in mystery.
The idea for the development of the Black Forest Cuckoo Clock was probably brought to the area through glass salesmen from Strasburg. In the famous artistical Strasburger cathedral clock, a rooster crows every hour to announce the hour time. In any case, around 1750 the so-called Schottenuhr clock design (special Black Forest painted wooden shield clock) began to appear with a cuckoo that came out of a small door at the top of the clock face, proclaiming the time every hour.
These clocks were highly coveted and extremely expensive rarities.
Soon a new variety of the cuckoo clock was developed with a brown-stained, oak clockface in the shape of a railroad-house. Today this world-known, wood-carved Black Forest Cuckoo Clock is produced in the same form as in the beginning.
The carvings vary according to design: carved leaves, hunter design, or a miniature house. Many extras have been added to enhance the clock design: 8-day clock movement, turnoff switch, minute hand which can also be turned backwards, and the choice of a music box built into the clock.
As can be seen, the Black Forest Clock is far more than a beautiful souvenir – this clock has impacted the development of our area in a large way.